Q Arabica Grader certification, the art of coffee tasting!
This certification, organized by the CQI (Coffee Quality Institute), accredits coffee specialists in the tasting, classification, and evaluation of coffees. This certification is intended for the most experienced “cuppers”.
WHO ARE “CUPPERS”?
Cuppers practice “cupping”, a term derived from English. Cupping is the art of coffee tasting according to a procedure based on clear rules and a standardized method:
- Smell the coffee after grinding it.
- Add hot water, crust the coffee with a spoon and smell the aromas that emerge.
- Enjoy the coffee by sniffing in its scent. This method helps to promote the perception of flavors. Coffee specialists use the famous “aroma wheel”, which distinguishes the first notes of coffee aroma and then refines it.
LA ROUE DES ARÔMES – Tool for sensory analysis of coffee, created in 1995 by the SCAA (Specialty Coffee Association of America)
THE Q ARABICA GRADER PREPARATION COURSE
The preparation course for access to certification takes participants to the 19 tests that await them! These numerous tests focus on a person’s ability to taste and grade coffees accurately and consistently, in accordance with the Specialty Coffee Association SCA tasting and grading standards and protocols, including a thorough understanding of the form. Tasting of the SCA.
The certification in a few words:
- 6 days of intensive training
- 3 days of practice + 3 days of testing
- Main themes: Cupping, classification of green coffee, sensory skills, etc.
- Certification to be renewed every 3 years: It is mandatory for all Q Graders to participate in the calibration if they wish to remain active as Q Graders. The calibration consists of three cuppings (with tables of 6 samples each) of coffees with different attributes. Sessions include one from Mild Washed, one from Naturals, and one from Africa or Asia.
OBJECTIVES AND AIMS OF THIS CERTIFICATION
In addition to enhancing the knowledge and skills of coffee specialists, the Q Arabica Grader certification is an international working tool. It allows the generalization and standardization of information processes around coffee.
Buyers, sellers, and coffee specialists are thus basing themselves on unique standards that are known to all.
DIEGO, OUR CAFEOLOGIST, IS CERTIFIED Q ARABICA RADER
Congratulations go to Diego, our coffee specialist! He recently renewed his Q Arabica Grader certification. It is no easy task, and it is a real added value for our roasting, and his work allows us to guarantee high-quality standards.